A Great Britain national team will return to The Tour of Britain this September, becoming the seventeenth and final team to be announced for the ninth edition of Britain’s national Tour.
British Under-23 riders George Atkins, Owain Doull, Josh Edmondson, Tom Moses, Alastair Slater and Simon Yates will represent Great Britain in the eight-day race.
“It is only right that in what has so far been a fantastic year for cycling in Britain that we can showcase the next generation of British talent at this year’s Tour of Britain,” said Race Director Mick Bennett.
“Fans can look forward to seeing six very talented athletes, all of whom are names to watch for the future.”
Great Britain had been a regular fixture in the early years of the modern Tour of Britain, with their last appearance in the race coming in 2008.
During that time the likes of Mark Cavendish, Geraint Thomas and Ed Clancy have all ridden The Tour in the red, white and blue colours, while Roger Hammond (2005 & 2006) and Paul Manning (2007) have won stages of The Tour of Britain while on national team duty.
Great Britain provisional line-up
George Atkins, Owain Doull, Josh Edmondson, Thomas Moses, Alastair Slater, Simon Yates
Reserves: Dan McLay, Adam Yates
Amateur cyclists can take on the same challenges as the professionals via five different Tour Ride sportives this September, in East Anglia, Scotland, Wales, Stoke-on-Trent and at the Birmingham NEC Cycle Show. To sign-up and to take on the challenge of a route inspired by The Tour of Britain, to enter, please visit www.tourride.co.uk
The 2012 Tour of Britain will take place between Sunday 9th and Sunday 16th September 2012
- Stage One Sunday 9th September Ipswich to Norfolk Showground
- Stage Two Monday 10th September Nottingham to Knowsley
- Stage Three Tuesday11th September Jedburgh to Dumfries
- Stage Four Wednesday 12th September Carlisle to Blackpool
- Stage Five Thursday 13th September The Stoke-on-Trent Stage
- Stage Six Friday 14th September Welshpool to Caerphilly
- Stage Seven Saturday 15th September Barnstaple to Dartmouth
- Stage Eight Sunday 16th September Reigate to Guildford
Filed Under: Local
About the Author: