Cumbria Crack
  • Home
  • North News
  • Peanut curry death: Restaurant owner guilty of manslaughter
North News

Peanut curry death: Restaurant owner guilty of manslaughter

Mohammed Zaman
Mohammed Zaman

A restaurant owner has been jailed for six years for manslaughter after a customer with a peanut allergy died after eating a meal containing peanut powder.

Paul Wilson, 38, suffered a severe anaphylactic shock in January 2014 after eating a takeaway containing peanuts from the Indian Garden in Easingwold, North Yorkshire.

Martin Goldman, Chief Crown Prosecutor, CPS Yorkshire and Humberside said: “This is a truly tragic case in which Paul Wilson lost his life entirely needlessly. Mohammed Zaman directly caused the death of Mr Wilson by causing him to be served a meal that he knew contained potentially lethal peanut powder.

“Zaman substituted almond powder with a cheaper ground nut mix, which contained peanuts. He failed to warn customers, failed to properly train his employees and failed to take any action following a previous serious allergic reaction. These failures led to Mr Wilson’s death.

“In this conviction, the CPS has sent a very clear message to the catering industry: there is a duty of care to your customers. If you ignore your responsibilities and regulations and put lives at real risk then we will not hesitate to prosecute.”

Lynne Regent, CEO, the Anaphylaxis Campaign said: “This appalling case highlights the challenges faced by food allergic customers. We feel this verdict gives a strong demonstration that the law will no longer tolerate businesses giving inaccurate or incomplete allergen information, which as this case proved, can be fatal for people who have a severe allergy.

“Our advice to people who have a severe allergy remains to take particular care when eating Indian, Chinese or Thai food, including takeaways.”

Related posts

Suspected thief dies after being detained by members of the public in Wigan

Cumbria Crack

Cumberland Infirmary cardiac physiologist to heal children’s hearts in Africa

Cumbria Crack

Three dogs killed in suspected poisoning

Cumbria Crack

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More