[C]umbria County Council is to carry out essential road maintenance work in Kendal starting from Monday 6 June. Due to the sensitive location of the affected roads on key routes around the centre of Kendal, the resurfacing works need to take place at night-time only, to minimise disruption to local businesses and the travelling public.
The council is investing £322,000 in the resurfacing works, which involve replacing worn-out sections of road with a brand new surface. Work will start at 6pm on Monday 6 June and will continue on each Monday to Thursday night, until 7 July.
Temporary road closures will be in place during resurfacing to allow the works to be safely carried out. Closures are scheduled to last from 6pm-12.30am approx. each night, with suitable signed diversions in place. Access for emergency services, pedestrians and dismounted cyclists will be maintained at all times, and traffic marshals will be available on site to assist with diverted traffic and local access.
Councillor Keith Little, Cumbria County Council Cabinet member for highways, said: “We’re very aware that these roads in Kendal need attention and we were planning to do this essential maintenance works before the December floods, which have now caused further damage. The council is investing more than £320,000 in this scheme which will make a big difference to road surfaces in the town and provide much smoother journeys for drivers.
“The resurfacing work will start after the teatime rush hour to help minimise the impact on the town. We will need to close roads in the evenings to do the work which will cause some short term disruption, but we would ask people to bear with us and allow a small amount of extra time for their journeys. Works of this nature will inevitably be noisy at times, so we’ll be working hard with our contractor to get the job done as quickly as possible and we apologise for any inconvenience during this period.”
Local residents and businesses based on the affected roads have been sent letters informing them of the works and access to properties will be maintained as far as possible.
The works are being phased as follows (dates weather dependent and subject to change):
- Monday 6th & Tuesday 7th June – Wildman Street – Stramongate Bridge
- Wednesday 8th & Thursday 9th June – Stramongate Bridge – pedestrian crossing outside Daniel Gray Hair Salon
- Monday 13th – Thursday 16th June – Pedestrian crossing outside Daniel Gray to controlled pedestrian crossing opposite Holy Trinity and St George’s Catholic Church
- Monday 20th – Thursday 23rd June – Kirkland to Peppercorn Lane Car Park
- Monday 27th & Tuesday 28th June – Peppercorn Lane Car Park to Captain French Lane
- Wednesday 29th & Thursday 30th June – New Inn – Town Hall Cross Roads
- Monday 4th & Tuesday 5th July – Captain French Lane – New Inn
- Wednesday 6th & Thursday 7th July All Hallows Lane / Lowther Street Cross Roads
All works will take place between 6pm and 12.30am on each of these days.