[E]den District Council’s Leader, Kevin Beaty has publicly thanked outgoing Prime Minister David Cameron MP for his support for Cumbria and his work to get Britain through the global financial crisis. Councillor Beaty has also welcomed Theresa May MP as the new Prime Minster.
Eden District Council’s Leader, Councillor Kevin Beaty said: “It has been a tumultuous few weeks politics, but this week we see a change of the guard at the highest office in the UK. I would like to thank David Cameron MP for his time as Prime Minister. He has always shown a keen interest in Cumbria and his policies have helped see us through the worst of a global financial crisis and the terrible floods in December 2015.
“As we enter another period of uncertainty I would like to welcome Prime Minister, Theresa May MP into office. I am sure that Theresa will be a very strong and safe choice for the whole of the county.”
Council Beaty will be asking the New Prime Minister Theresa May MP to:
- Support the UK countryside as we leave the EU where nearly all rural policy and funding came from.
- Continue to help our region recover and defend ourselves from extreme weather and floods.
- Increase the pace of devolution to the regions and counties so that Cumbria can decide how our funding is spent and so that we can connect to the Northern Powerhouse project to bring higher paid jobs to our area.
- Invest in our districts roads and prioritise the upgrade of the A66.
- Allow us to build more much needed homes in the area.