[O]n Monday 1 August 2016, at 12noon, the picturesque village of Broughton in Furness will witness the Annual Proclamation of the Fair.
In their capacity as Lords of the Manor of Broughton, Cumbria County Council continues to re‑enact this centuries old ceremony with traditional pomp and pageantry, including the “quaffing of good ale” and the scattering of pennies to children.
Having assembled in the lounge of The Black Cock at 11.45am, the official party will be led to the Obelisk in the Village Square by the Bailiff, Joss Curwen, carrying the ceremonial halberd.
The proceedings will be introduced from the steps of the Obelisk by local county councillor David Fletcher and county council chairman, Councillor Geoff Cook, will read the Proclamation to the assembled villagers. The Proclamation will then be repeated by parish councillor Mrs Elaine Knowles, chairman of the parish council.
After the singing of the National Anthem, and to the delight of the local children, the spectacle will continue with the scattering of new pennies by the Chairman and other members of the official party.
The villagers will then be invited to The Manor Hotel where, in time-honoured fashion, they will receive fair cake and ale, after which Councillor Geoff Cook will propose a toast to “The Queen, Duke of Lancaster”.
Councillor Geoff Cook will round off the proceedings when he signs the Charter, which contains the signatures of every person who has read the Proclamation since Henry Stanley, Lord Strange, 4th Earl of Derby, first proclaimed the Charter in 1593.
OYEZ OYEZ OYEZ
1. THE COUNTY COUNCIL OF CUMBRIA LORDS OF THE MANOR OF BROUGHTON AND OF THIS FAIR AND MARKET STRICTLY CHARGETH AND COMMANDETH ON THE QUEEN’S MAJESTY’S BEHALF THAT ALL MANNER OF PERSONS REPAIRING TO THIS FAIR AND MARKET DO KEEP HER MAJESTY’S PEACE UPON PAIN OF FIVE POUNDS TO BE FORFEITED TO HER MAJESTY AND THEIR BODIES TO BE IMPRISONED DURING THE LORDS’ PLEASURE.
2. ALSO THAT NO MANNER OF PERSONS WITHIN THIS FAIR OR MARKET DO BEAR ANY BILL BATTLE AXE OR ANY SUCH PROHIBITED WEAPONS BUT SUCH AS BE APPOINTED BY THE LORDS’ OFFICERS TO KEEP THIS FAIR OR MARKET UPON PAIN OF FORFEITURE OF ALL SUCH WEAPONS AND FURTHER IMPRISONMENT OF THEIR BODIES.
3. ALSO THAT NO MANNER OF PERSONS DO PICK ANY QUARREL MATTER OR CAUSE FOR ANY OLD GRUDGE OR MALICE TO MAKE ANY PERTURBATION OR TROUBLE WITHIN THIS PRESENT FAIR OR MARKET UPON PAIN OF FIVE POUNDS TO BE FORFEITED TO THE LORDS AND THEIR BODIES TO BE IMPRISONED DURING THE LORDS’ PLEASURE.
4. ALSO THAT NONE BUY OR SELL IN CORNERS BACKSIDES OR HIDDEN PLACES BUT IN OPEN FAIR OR MARKET UPON PAIN OF FORFEITURE OF ALL SUCH GOODS AND MERCHANDISE SO BOUGHT AND SOLD AND THEIR BODIES TO BE IMPRISONED DURING THE LORDS’ PLEASURE.
5. ALSO THAT NO MANNER OF PERSONS SHALL SELL ANY GOODS WITH UNLAWFUL MEET OR MEASURE YARDS OR WEIGHTS BUT SUCH AS BE LAWFUL AND KEEP THE TRUE ASSIZE UPON PAIN OF FORFEITURE OF ALL SUCH GOODS AND FURTHER IMPRISONMENT OF THEIR BODIES.
6. LASTLY IF ANY MANNER OF PERSONS WITHIN THIS FAIR OR MARKET DO FIND THEMSELVES GRIEVED OR HAVE ANY INJURIES OR WRONG COMMITTED OR DONE AGAINST THEM LET THEM REPAIR TO THE LORDS OR THEIR OFFICERS AND THERE THEY SHALL BE HEARD ACCORDING TO RIGHT EQUITY AND JUSTICE.
GOD SAVE THE QUEEN AND THE LORDS OF THIS MANOR