[T]o celebrate this year’s National Poetry Day on Thursday 6th October, Cumbria Libraries have launched the ‘Cumbria Children’s Poetry Competition’ for all children in the county.
We are asking children to write an original poem based on the theme of National Poetry Day which is ‘Messages’. Write a poem, sending a message to your favourite author or character from a book, and the winning entry in each category will receive a £50 book voucher!
There are two categories – Under 8s and 8 and over.
Kathryn Flagner, Community Services Manager for Allerdale said
‘This is a great chance for children to put their letter writing skills to the test. The prizes are pretty good too, meaning the winners can get even more books!’
- Write to your favourite character. This might be Hermione Granger from Harry Potter or The BFG. What would you like to tell them or what you would like to ask them?
- Write to your favourite character at a crucial point in their story and warn them about what is going to happen!
- Write to your favourite author – maybe you can give them an idea for their next book or suggest an alternative ending for a story that you’ve read!
- Write to your favourite author or character and invite them to your home town. You’ll have to make it sound appealing. What activities would you do with them and what sights would you take them to see in your local area?
- Imagine you are on holiday and send a postcard to your favourite author or character.
Benefits of the Competition for Schools
- Creative and productive way for pupils to express themselves
- Opportunity to win book vouchers
- By working in partnership with local libraries, this will also encourage youngsters to use their local library
There will be a winner of Under 8’s and 8 and Over categories, each will receive a £50 book voucher.
There will also be a 2nd price in each category who will each receive a £20 book voucher.
Entries are now welcome and must be submitted by 30th October 2016 to Emma Broadbent, Barrow Library, Abbey Road, Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, LA14 2NS or entries can also be dropped in at any local library.