[A] MAN accused of involvement in “indiscriminate violence” which erupted outside a Workington social club has gone on trial.
A jury at Carlisle Crown Court was told three young men had admitted playing roles in an incident close to the town’s Trades Hall on November 12 last year.
But while a fourth, 20-year-old Scott Hannon, accepts being at the scene he disputes playing a part in what one eyewitness described as a “mass brawl”.
This, the court heard, resulted in one man being left in a coma with brain injuries after he was punched repeatedly by an unidentified offender. An innocent bystander was also assaulted.
Hannon has pleaded not guilty to one charge of affray, and told an officer at a police station three days after the incident: “I have assaulted no-one.”
During his evidence today (TUES), Hannon, of Wastwater Avenue, Workington, was asked whether he played any part in the violence.
“No. Definitely not,” he replied.
The trial continues.