Eden District Council held its Annual Meeting tonight (11 May 2017) and Members elected Councillor Mary Robinson (Kirkoswald/Independent Group) as Chairman and Councillor William Patterson (Warcop/Independent Group) as Vice Chairman for the next 12 months.
Councillor Mary Robinson said: “I am absolutely thrilled and honoured that my fellow Members have elected me as Chairman. In what will be a busy year ahead nationally, I look forward with the help of Vice Chairman Councillor William Patterson, to using these civic roles to raise the profile of Eden District and build on the networks that we have established in Eden and wider Cumbria.
“The charities I am seeking to support over the 12 months as Chairman are Hospice at Home and the Great North Air Ambulance. I look forward to working with my fellow Members to see how we can support these worthwhile causes.”
At the Annual Meeting, Council Leader Kevin Beaty, announced that Councillor Gordon Nicolson OBE (Lazonby Ward/Conservative Group), has resigned as Resources Portfolio Holder.
Councillor Gordon Nicolson OBE, said: “I have enjoyed a very active role with Eden District Council over the past 14 years and I would like to thank my fellow Members and Council officers for their support during this period.”
Councillor Kevin Beaty, said: “I would like to thank Councillor Gordon Nicolson OBE for his diligent worked throughout his tenure as Resources Portfolio Holder, his hard work has secured this Council the strongest financial position possible. Gordon has been a valued friend, provided great support and advice to Members and officers, but above all he has been a fantastic advocate for Eden District. I thank you for your service, your skills and experience will be very hard to replace.”
The following Chairman were elected to the respective Council Committees listed below:
- Scrutiny Co-ordinating Board Chairman Councillor Douglas Banks (Independent Group)
- Housing and Communities Scrutiny Committee Chairman Councillor Joan Raine (Conservative Group)
- Environment and Economy Scrutiny Committee Chairman Councillor Ian Chambers (Conservative Group)
- Accounts and Governance Committee Chairman Councillor Paula Breen (Conservative Group)
- Planning Committee Chairman Councillor John Thompson (Conservative Group)
- Licensing Committee Chairman Councillor John Owen (Conservative Group)
- Human Resources and Appeals Committee Chairman Councillor John Lynch (Conservative Group)