[A] MAN accused of breaking another man’s jaw with a police-style baton has branded the allegation “wholly untrue”.
John Martin Porter, 37, is on trial at Carlisle Crown Court. He has pleaded not guilty to charges of causing Andrew Winder grievous bodily harm with intent, and having an offensive weapon.
These relate to an incident which is said to have occurred in a residential area of Maryport on the evening of August 19 last year.
Mr Winder and two other witnesses have alleged that Porter used a metal baton to carry out an attack. Mr Winder attended hospital the following day and later underwent surgery to a broken jaw.
Porter, of Mulgrew Close, Maryport, gave evidence in his defence at the crown court this afternoon (WED), describing the attack and baton allegations as “wholly untrue”.
Asked whether prosecution witnesses told the truth about the alleged attack, Porter replied: “No.”
When asked whether he had ever owned a “police baton”, he responded: “Never.”
Gary Robinson had been on trial with Porter after denying two intimidation charges. But 30-year-old Robinson, of Collins Terrace, Maryport, was found not guilty by the jury of both charges today (WED) on the direction of Recorder Julian Shaw.
The trial continues.