[T]he Dermatology Outpatients team at University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust (UHMBT) was awarded Team of the Year 2017 at last night’s British Dermatology Nursing Group’s (BDNG) annual conference in Belfast.
Denise Hines, Unit Manager, Ceri Kennedy, Skin Cancer Nurse Specialist, Elizabeth Newsham, Clinical Nurse Specialist and Angela Hewitson, Dermatology Nurse, collected the award.
BDNG introduced the award in 2008 to celebrate team work and as a recognition of the importance of working together. BDNG confirmed it had numerous nominations for the award and its executive unanimously agreed that UHMBT was the best.
Denise Hines, Unit Manager, UHMBT, said: “We are delighted to receive this award on behalf of every single member of the dermatology team across bay. The award recognises our team and their dedication and enthusiasm to provide the best possible patient care that we can.”
The unit offers dermatology outpatient services at Furness General Hospital, Royal Lancaster Infirmary, Westmorland General Hospital and Ulverston Health Centre. During April 1 2016 – March 31 2017 the team completed a staggering 28,828 outpatient appointments.
Nurse-led services at the unit have been developed over the years to include:
- Phototherapy – ultra violet light treatment for many conditions including psoriasis and eczema
- Photodynamic therapy – non surgical treatment for pre-cancerous and low risk skin cancers
- Minor surgery – nurses carry out diagnostic tests and curative procedures for all types of skin lesions and conditions
- Biologics – drugs that target specific parts of the immune system to help control psoriasis, which has been life changing for some patients
- Prescribing clinics for acnes, eczema and psoriasis as well as other skin conditions
- Dedicated skin cancer follow up clinics for diagnosis, treatment options and ongoing support.
The team, which includes 23 dermatology nurses, also works closely with colleagues in Plastics, the Maxillofacial Surgery Unit and Primary and Tertiary care centres.
Richard Vallely, Clinical Services Manager, UHMBT, said: “This is a fantastic award for this highly skilled and extremely busy nursing team. The team are the heart-beat of the department, always there to reassure concerned patients as well as delivering excellent patient care. Over recent years, the team has extended their skills base and many of these nurses now undertake additional duties not ordinarily found as part of the nursing job description. This reward is overdue as recognition for the excellent service they consistently deliver whilst demand for their services continuously increases.”
The following members of staff have worked with the team for more than 20 years:
- Denise Hines
- Liz Newsham
- Karen Dowswell
- Jennifer Riley
- Ceri Kennedy
- Julie Tait
- Helena Murphy
- Anne Ledgard
- Dr Sidhu
- Dr Young
Sue Smith, Executive Chief Nurse, UHMBT, said: “I am extremely proud of the team’s achievements. The team really do go above and beyond for their patients and thoroughly deserve this recognition.”