[A] new political administration to lead Cumbria County Council for the next four years has been agreed at Full Council today.
The new Leader of the Council has been confirmed as Councillor Stewart Young, Labour, local member for Upperby, Carlisle.
The new administration for the Council is Labour / Liberal Democrat.
The new Deputy Leader of the county council is Councillor Ian Stewart, Liberal Democrat, local member for Kent Estuary.
The Leader has also announced the new Cabinet arrangements, which will have responsibility for the organisation’s executive decisions.
The new Cabinet will comprise the following members and portfolios:
- Cllr Ian Stewart (Liberal Democrat), Deputy Leader and Cabinet Member for Finance
- Cllr Anne Burns (Labour), Children`s Services (Statutory Lead Member for Children`s Services)
- Cllr Sue Sanderson (Liberal Democrat), Schools and Learning
- Cllr Peter Thornton (Liberal Democrat), Health and Care Services
- Cllr Keith Little (Labour), Highways and Transport
- Cllr Deborah Earl (Labour), Public Health and Community Services
- Cllr Celia Tibble (Labour), Environment
- Cllr David Southward (Labour), Economic Development
- Cllr Janet Willis (Liberal Democrat), Customer Services, Transformation and Community Safety
The council also confirmed its new Chairman and Vice Chairman, among a wide number of other appointments on committees. Cllr John Bell (Labour) is now the Chairman of the county council and Cllr Elizabeth Mallinson (Conservative) is the new vice chair.