Cumbria Crack

County football round up – cup joy for Keswick, Shap and Workington Athletic

[C]arlisle United faced Borough in the first match of the second round of this season’s Cumberland Cup at Frenchfield Park last Tuesday night, and what was primarily a United Academy side turned on the style as they put four past Borough in the first half with the first goal from Keighran Kerr.

This was followed by two fabulous saves from Borough ‘keeper Paul Flitton, and then two unfortunate Borough own goals, the first from a Liam Brockbank delivery that skipped up off the surface and the unfortunate defender could do nothing as he sliced it in, and the second again from a Brockbank shot which was scuffed off the line and into the net.

The fourth goal came from Jaic Miller, who picked up a rebound and and smashed the ball into the bottom corner. It wasn’t all one way, and Borough played their part and pulled a goal back when Liam McCullough powered home a penalty just before the break. With the impressive Flitton kept busy, Carlisle substitute Luke Lloyd stole the show in the second half with a ten-minute hat-trick, as the young Blues created more chances as the rain poured down and the conditions worsened. Kerr doubled his tally for the night at the beginning of the second half when he finished well from the edge of the area, but then Lloyd grabbed his devastating hat trick, and the headlines, and it was 8-1 to Carlisle at the final whistle.

Workington Athletic were also in Cumberland Cup action at the weekend, and the defending Cumberland County League Premier Division champions were up against the in form Westmorland League Division One side Kirkoswald. But this ended up a win for Workington who put five past the visitors, and the Workington goals came from a Tom Pardini brace, Tony Berwick, Tommy Whitehead and Calum Best.

But the scoreline doesn’t really reflect the match, and Kirkoswald picked up a lone consolation goal from the Westmorland Division One lead goal scorer Niall Renwick and Kirkoswald deserved more, with Athletic goal keeper James Bryden forced to pull off three excellent saves as a spirited Kirkoswald pushed the home side all the way.

Stevie Hindmarch heads home Keswick’s first goal against Endmoor

In the Westmorland FA Benevolent Trophy first round, Keswick put five past Endmoor KGR, with the visitors leaving without even a consolation goal. Endmoor came to Keswick last year for a cup tie when they were still in Westmorland Divison Two and were impressive, and have held their own in Division One this season, and Keswick expected another tough match and that’s what they got to begin with. For 30 minutes this was a very well balanced game, until Stevie Hindmarch headed in Keswick’s first goal on 33 minutes.

The game then changed, and Keswick took full control and never looked back, and fired in three more before half time with the goals from Alfie West (35 mins), Andy Rigg (38 minutes) and from man of the match Hindmarch again just before half time. The second half was more of the same: Keswick missed more good chances, and Endmoor pulled striker Connor Crawshaw Collins back into defence, and only Adam Soulby looked anything like a threat up front. Despite a later ten minute spell when Endmoor looked more organised, Keswick thwarted the few chances they had. On the hour Keswick made it 5-0 from a Sam Reilly header, and the home side then cruised to a comfortable win.

In the Westmorland FA Senior Challenge Cup first round, there was a welcome boosts for both of the Westmorland League Division One basement sides, with Shap picking up an impressive 7-1 win over Arnside who play in the North Lancs Football League. The Shap goals were from a Ben Palmer hat trick, Jordan Palmer, Tim Fraser, Luke Pattinson and Paul Wright, and a man of the match performance from Sam Wood. Ambleside United also secured a win, beating fellow Division One rivals Ibis 1-0.

And there were four matches in the Cumberland County League’s Ken Glover Memorial Shield. Silloth continued their miserable run of form, losing 1-3 at home to Cleator Moor Celtic with Lewis Little’a goal, well, little consolation. Gosforth put six past Crown Newlaithes for an impressive 6-1 win, with those goals from Greg Bedford (2), Jack Denwood, Owen Woodburn, Sam Denwood and Ryan Woodburn. Whitehaven Amateurs and UniSun Athletic had a tough close battle, but Unisun won this 3-4 with goals from Wayne Jackson (2), Ash Tyson and Rikki Shepherd. Division One’s Whitehaven Miners went down 1-3 to Premier Division side Carlisle City Reserves at Melbourne Park, and Pirelli were left frustrated by the late cancellation of their tie by Netherhall.

With the Ken Glover Memorial Shield matches to be played, there was just one Smurfit Kappa Cumberland County League Premier Division match, and Cockermouth lost 0-1 at home to Wigton Harriers, with Wigton now second and Cockermouth sixth in the table. Aspatria stay top.

In the James Cropper Westmorland League, and with Keswick in Benevolent Trophy action, Appleby had a chance to close the gap, but stalled in their chase at the top of Division One, only managing a hard fought 3-3 draw at home to Windermere SC, despite goals were from Ben Jackson, Ric Faustino and Jordan Crawford.

In the only other Division One match, Kendal County Reserves woeful run of recent form continued, with a 1-3 loss at home to Penrith Reserves, whose goals came from two Hayden Wilson penalty strikes and a Brad Hayton goal. Kendal have now let in eighteen goals in three matches. Keswick are now three points clear at the top of the table and Appleby second. Kirkoswald, Penrith Reserves and Wetheriggs are equal on points in third, fourth and fifth places.

Braithwaite and Castletown players wait for an incoming free kick (Ben Challis)

In Division Two, Braithwaite went down 3-7 at home Castletown Utd, despite leading twice in the first half with goals from Olly Dunn and Sam Robinson.

After the very even first half, and a 2-2 half time score, the second half was dominated by Castletown who scored five in a row, three of which were in a ten minutes spell on the hour, with Braithwaite’s Robinson picking up a third in the dying minutes. Castetown’s magnificent seven were from Ewan Willacy, Liam Robinson Sam Oliver, and one in each half for both Ryan Gate and Brad Shearer. Castletown move into fourth spot and Gate is now second in the goal scorer stats to Carleton Bank’s Nathan Moorhead.

It’s Dent who go top, winning 4-0 at home against Staveley United, with the goals from Ben Sedgwick, Sam Sedgwick, Rich Thexton and from goalkeeper Morgan Brown (a long range free kick!). Although top by one point, Dent have played three more matches than second placed Carleton Banks who were without a fixture.

Third placed Keswick Reserves’ fixture at Windermere SC Reserves was one of a number of matches cancelled due to waterlogged pitches in the South of the County. Eden Thistle kept their grip on fifth place with a 9-2 win over sixth placed Greystoke, and Appleby Reserves won 2-4 away at Ullswater United with Appleby’s goals from Ross Parkin, Jon Smith and a Morgan Fothergill brace, pushing Appleby clear of relegation worries and into ninth place. Ullswater are seventh.

In Division Three of the James Cropper Westmorland League, Penrith Royal had the result of the day, winning 5-0 over the previously invincible Ibis Reserves, who went down to ten men, let in five, lost their unbeaten record, but kept top spot.

Royal’s goals were from Tom Dixon, Alex Jackson, James Thompson, Carl Wallace and a Ibis own goal, and at the other end Christian Hunter kept a clean sheet. Ominously, and after beating Kendal United in the Westmorland Senior Cup last weekend, Kirkby Stephen FC compounded a bad day for Kirkoswald, beating Kirkoswald Reserves 1-3 at the Old Show Field to stay second, now just one point behind the leaders. and with a game in hand.

This was only Kirkoswald’s second loss in eight games and they are in fourth place, equal on points with third placed Burneside who beat Penrith AFC Academy 4-0 at Hollins Lane, with all four from Tyler Park, who now tops the Division Three striker statistics.  And finally Penrith Town FC got their first point of the season, drawing 0-0 with Ambleside United Reserves.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More