[A] safety-at-home session is being staged in Ambleside on National Burns Awareness Day by a paramedic who suffered serious burns as a toddler.
Nick Wright, the director of MedSkills Academy, will host the drop-in session at Ambleside’s Parish Centre on Wednesday (Oct 18) from 3.30 till 4.30. It’s hoped that the event will appeal especially to families with young children.
Nick was left with scarring over his shoulder following an accident at home, involving a hot drink, when he was a child. “Although scarring is now minimal, I appreciate the long-lasting effect such an injury can have,” he said.
The National Burns Awareness Day gives Nick and his staff an opportunity to pass on expert knowledge regarding prevention and first aid treatment to the local and national community.
“Our aim is to raise awareness of the shocking number of people burned each day in the UK. We also want to promote, good, effective first aid for burns to as many people as we can and at the same time fundraise for The Children’s Burns Trust.”
The MedSkills Academy drop-in session is for anyone who wants to find out more about making their homes safer, learn how to provide first aid to burns and an opportunity to ask questions to a healthcare expert.
Nick said: “I have staff who will be providing similar awareness raising sessions across the UK to members of the public and healthcare professionals alike. We’ve also set up a Just Giving page to raise money for The Children’s Burns Trust.”
To find out more contact MedSkills Academy on 0800 612 5123. To make a donation to the Children’s Burns Trust visit – https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/medskillsacademy