Cumbria Crack

Cumberland County Cup 2nd Round: Wetheriggs United 5-1 Greystoke

Wetheriggs manager Ian Henderson (Photo Colin Watson)

[I]n a game marred by two serious injuries it was the home side who progressed to the next round of the Cumberland County Cup.

The threadbare visitors were dealt a major blow after 10 minutes when goalkeeper Steve Mandale landed awkwardly dealing with a cross and unfortunately ruptured his achilles, this meaning a reshuffle with full back Jamie Dobinson donning the gloves and manager Dave Simmons forced to play 80 minutes at full back.

Meanwhile the hosts were boosted by the return of frontman Martyn Coleman after a brief spell at Northern League side Shildon and were also able to give a debut to former Elgin City player Chris Tucker after successfully receiving international clearance.

In a reasonably even and dull first half it was Wetheriggs who had the better of the chances with roly poly midfielder Kie Wallace going closest to breaking the deadlock when he screwed his shot wide with the goal gaping and the score remained 0-0 at half time.

The home side started the second half a lot brighter and soon broke the deadlock, Coleman twisting and turning in the box before curling a left footed shot into the bottom corner leaving stand in keeper Dobinson with no chance and it was 1-0. Within minutes Greystoke were back on level terms when David Ivinson turned on the edge of the box and with the help of a slight deflection his shot flew past keeper Joe Nichol to make it 1-1.

Wetheriggs were soon back in front and again it was Coleman with the goal when he capitalised on a mix up in the Greystoke defence and again curled a left footed shot into the bottom corner to make it 2-1.

Coleman then turned provider when his cross was headed into his own net by the unfortunate defender Simon Graham to make it 3-1.

Coleman was starting to enjoy his afternoon and it was only a matter of time before he completed his hatrick, it finally came in the 75th minute when he found space 25 yards out and rifled an unstoppable shot into the top corner to make it 4-1.

Wetheriggs were then dealt a blow when defender Darren Campbell mistimed a tackle and despite getting booked for the challenge he was forced off in an ambulance and it was later confirmed he has broken his tibia.

After an late pull out from one of his players, manager Ian Henderson was forced to include himself as a sub and having used his other subs Henderson was forced on to make his Wetheriggs 1st team debut at the grand age of 58. There was just enough time on the clock for the hosts to get one more when impressive younger Windle lobbed the keeper after another Coleman assist and the game finished 5-1.

Best wishes to Darren Campbell and Steve Mandle, wish you both a speedy recovery.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More