Cumbria Crack
News

Penrith man facing child sex assault charges appears in crown court

Carlisle Crown Court

[A] MAN accused of sexually assaulting two children has appeared at Carlisle Crown Court.

Robert William Berry, 64, faces a total of four allegations.

Two allege that he sexually assaulted a girl aged under 16, while an additional count alleges that he sexually assaulted a different girl aged under 13.

These are said to relate to the Appleby area, with the charges covering a nine-month period during 2016.

Berry also faces a fourth charge which alleges that he was in possession of 11 indecent class C images of a child between March, 2000, and September last year.

He has yet to enter pleas to any of the charges. When he appeared in court for a brief hearing today (THURS), Berry’s lawyer, Denise Fitzpatrick, said: “My proposal is to ask that an indication of not guilty pleas is given, and he is arraigned at a later date.”

A trial date was fixed for April 9. It is estimated the hearing before a jury at the crown court will last five days.

In the meantime, Berry, of Whitehouse Gardens, Carleton Drive, Penrith, was granted bail by the judge, the Honourable Mr Justice Turner.

Related posts

Woman hurt in Barrow assault

Cumbria Crack

Investigation continues after man sexually assaulted in Barrow

Cumbria Crack

Armed police deployed after man suffers burns in Carlisle store

Cumbria Crack

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More