Cumbria Crack

Cup wins for Bransty Rangers, Workington Athletic and Carleton Banks

Bransty Rangers and Netherhall line up before their Benevolent Cup tie (Ben Challis)

[I]t was a day of cup matches across the county in various competitions, and in the Smurfit Kappa Cumberland County League the Benevolent Cup was top of the agenda.

In the second round Division One’s Bransty Rangers were up against Premier Division opposition Netherhall with a fascinating tie at the Lakes College 3G pitch. This ended in a 1-1 stalemate after extra time, with Stewart O’Pray scoring for Bransty and Jamie Glover for the visitors, but Bransty edged this 7-6 on penalties to progress to the next round.

Borough had a close game against Gosforth, but it was Gosforth who had this with a 1-2 scoreline, with Lee Woolfe netting for Borough, and Reece Fretwell scoring a brace for Gosforth. Sam James scored twice for Crown Newlaithes, but they went down 2-5 to Pirelli, with Pirelli’s win coming on the back of a Jordan Irving hat trick and goals for Matty Story and Pip Carruthers. In an eleven goal thriller, Windscale Reserves overcame Whitehaven Miners 8-3 with Windscales’ win courtesy of a Ben Graham hat trick and goals for Jack Harrison, James Murphy, Jeremy Watson, Neil French and Greg  Rooney. Finally in a first round tie, Carlisle City triumphed 4-1 over Cleator Moor Celtic with the home side’s goals from Lee Thompson, Macauly Bowman, Lee Graham and Jordy Atkinson

There was also one Smurfit Kappa Conway Cup Quarter Final, and Silloth were comprehensively defeated 0-6 by Workington Athletic who ‘engulfed’  the Seafulls in the second half.  Matthew Perry scored a hat trick, Jonny DJ Donat knocked in a brace and and Leo Holliday grabbed a goal.  In the only Premier Division league match, Cockermouth lost 0-3 at home to Wigton Harriers with Dan Stockdale (2) and Jonny Studholme doing the damage.

There were two matches in the Westmorland FA’s Benevolent Trophy, and Kendal United Reserves went down 0-3 at home to Carleton Banks, with the Carlton Banks goals from Corrie Pearson, Ryan Smith and Steven Malarkey. In a good result for the basement side in the Westmorland League’s Division One, Ambleside United beat Kendal County Reserves 4-0 and the will meet Carleton Banks in the Quarter Finals.

In the second round of the Westmorland FA Junior Cup Burneside took a hammering at the hands (or feet) of Keswick Reserves, losing 1-7, albeit to an in form team from the division above.  Keswick’s goals came from a Charlie Robson hat trick, Dave Gaskell, George Frampton, Adam Gaskell and an unfortunate own goal. Brett Croskell got Burneside’s consolation goal from the penalty spot.

Penrith Academy had a good cup win over Kirkby Stephen (Colin Watson)

Staveley Utd also lost at home, this time by a 1-6 margin to Windermere SC Reserves. Happy days for the Mighty ‘Mere with a win for both teams! A strong looking Penrith Academy had an excellent (and to be honest unexpected) 3-0 over a depleted version of then Division Three leaders Kirkby Stephen, with Greg Hall scoring all three goals for Academy. Appleby Reserves triumphed 4-2 over tough opposition in the shape of Cartmel AFC Reserves. Appleby’s goals were from from Josh Addison Adams (2), Scott Turnbull and Tony Ousby. And Burton Thistle had a good 4-2 home win against Ullswater United.

In the Division One of the James Cropper Westmorland League, both of the top two had narrow wins. Second placed Appleby had a 0-1 away win over Ibis thanks to  a goal from Jack Overs, and  leaders Keswick had to wait until the 93rd minute to edge a 2-1 home win over Kirkoswald.  Keswick’s goals were from Stevie Hindmarch and Andy Rigg, and Kirkoswald’s from Niall Renwick

In a match moved to Gilwilly Rec, Wetheriggs United were disappointed to lose 3-4 at home to Endmoor KGR, with the Wetheriggs’ goals from Dec Sutcliffe, Lewis Windle and Lee Hindson. Matty Wilson knocked in three for Endmoor and Connor Crawshaw Collins nabbed another. Finally in Division One, Shap’s recent run of good form came to an abrupt halt, defeated 4-0 by Windermere SC, who moved int third place on the result, above Endmoor who are in fourth on goal difference. Appleby stay second and Keswick are at the top, and both are now well clear of the chasing pack.

In Division Two, AFC Carlisle won 2-0 at home over Braithwaite to move up to eighth thanks to goals from Dan Chandler and Dan Dixon, and fourth placed  Eden Thistle and leaders Dent played it out for a 0-0 draw.

The week started badly in Division Three of the James Cropper Westmorland League with the news that basement side Penrith Town had withdrawn with a lack of available players given as the reason. Penrith may be a soccer mad town, but Penrith AFC’s move to a fourth senior side always looked a risky move with the likes of Wetheriggs, Carleton Banks, Castletown United, Penrith Royal and Penrith Saints all playing county league football and looking for players. Hopefully the lads will all find a game.

Kirkoswald Reserves had a useful 6-1 home win over Ambleside Utd Reserves with Ryan Bell and Rob Anderson both scoring a brace and there were goals for Adam Land and Malcolm Judge from the penalty spot.

Langwathby United lost 0-2 at home to Penrith Royal with Royal’s goals from Matty Glen and Michael Trotter, and Royal are now fifth in the table with Langwathby tenth. Lunesdale Utd lost 2-4 at home to Sedbergh Wanderers Reserves with Sedbergh putting in a superb second half performance to come back from 2-0 down at half-time to win, with goals from Nathan Dobson, Chris Ladds (2) and an absolute screamer from 45 yards out from Jake Woof.

Sedbergh Reserves are now tenth and Lunesdale eighth. Penrith Saints FC lost 0-10 Ibis Reserves, with Saints now eleventh, and Ibis back into top spot.

But scoreline of the day? That must go to Sedbergh Wanderers Firsts, who demolished Earby Town from the Craven & District League Premier Division 17-0 in the first round of  Craven Cup. The goals for Sedbergh, who are the cup holders, came from Andrew Burrow (5), Stu Wells (4), Dean Raw (3), Luke Packham (2), Jay Ferguson, Liam Mason and an Earby own goal.

Finally and importantly, our thoughts and condolence are with the family and friends of Paul Brown, the former Whitehaven Amateurs player and manager who has died at the age of just 35. Paul died from cancer. The Club praised Paul for his huge contribution to the Club and said that he would be long remembered by Whitehaven AFC. Paul is survived by his wife Joanne and their son Finlay.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More