Cumbria Crack

Great Eight for Workington Athletic in the Whitehaven Cup

Netherhall goalkeeper Craig Rule makes a save against Workington Athletic (Martin Perry)

[O]n Saturday in the Smurfit Kappa Cumberland County League it was first and second round action in the Whitehaven Cup, the League’s most prestigious knock out competition, played across both divisions.

In the First Round, Whitehaven Amateurs Reserves went down 1-4 Cleator Moor Celtic Reserves, with Celtic’s goals from Adam Meagan (2), Liam Johnstone and Grant Carson.

In The Second Round, Division One leaders Pirelli had a very good 4-0 win over Premiership strugglers Cockermouth, with the Pirelli goals from Jack Dickson with a brace, Matty Story and Andy Lewis securing a Quarter Final place. At Eden Street, Silloth lost 0-3 at home to Wigton Harriers. The Harriers’ Johnny Studholme grabbed two goals and Richard O’Keefe the third to secure the win over the Seagulls.

Gosforth progressed to the Quarter Finals thanks to a 5-0 over UniSun Athletic. Cameron Bowness scored a hat trick and their were goals for Brad Dryden and Sam Tallentire. Whitehaven Cup holders Workington Athletic had the result of the day, knocking eight past Netherhall for an 8-0 win, with four goals from Greg Quayle, two from Greg Armstrong and one each for Ash Kelly and Gareth Brunton. Athletic’s next match is more of a challenge: they meet Workington Reds at Borough Park on Thursday evening in the Quarter Finals of the Cumberland Cup.

Crown Newlaithes were awarded a home walkover over against Windscale, and Aspatria were awarded and away walkover against Whitehaven Miners, with neither Windscale or Miners able to field a team, but Crown Newlaithes and Aspatria did get a game, playing a hastily arranged friendly. The Borough versus Carlisle City Reserves tie was called off with a waterlogged pitch to blame.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More