[O]fficers in West and North Cumbria are urging owners of quad bikes and people with power tools to take steps to secure their property following a number of theft offences recently.
People are being urged not to leave power tools in vans and other vehicles overnight.
The warning follows a number of such incidents have been reported in recent days:
Incident 63 of 7/3/18 – Overnight 5th March into 6th March, in Mealsgate, Wigton, an attempt was made to gain access to a container holding a quad bike and tools. The attempt failed and the thieves left empty-handed.
Incident 80 of 6/3/18 – Overnight 5th March into 6th March, in Abbeytown, Wigton, an attempt was made to break into a works van. Holes were cut in the rear of the van in an effort to gain entry but, again, the thieves left empty handed having failed to gain entry.
Incident 46 of 6/3/18 – Overnight 5th March into 6th March, in St Helen’s Avenue, Flimby, tools were stolen from a works bus, including a drill and associated items including battery and charger.
Detective Inspector Matt Scott of West Cumbria CID said: “We are investigating these offences and seeking to identify those responsible.
“Whilst we continue with these efforts, I would urge people to take extra steps to secure their vehicles, including quad bikes. I would also strongly urge people with power tools not to leave them in their vehicles overnight as we have had offences where such tools appear to have been targeted.
“Anyone who witnesses any suspicious behaviour or who has information which could assist should contact police immediately. Always call 999 if a crime is in progress.”
Email: [email protected]
Call non-emergency number: 101
Or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Always call in an emergency 999
- Always lock your vehicle securely
- Always park your car in a well-lit area and use a garage if you have one
- Have an alarm or immobiliser fitted if the vehicle doesn’t already have one
- Take any items of value, including power tools, out of the vehicle overnight
- Keep smaller vehicles such as quad bikes locked away securely and out of plain sight
- Keep the keys to your vehicle somewhere safe and secure and not easily retrievable by opportunist thieves