[T]he public are being asked to suggest ideas for Eden District Councillors who carry out Scrutiny Reviews to consider for their 2078/19 work plan.
Each year councillors who are part of the Council’s Scrutiny function, work to ensure that
Council’s decisions are made in an open and transparent way. Scrutiny does this by examining the decisions of the Council’s main decision makers (known as the ‘Executive’), by asking questions of senior Councillors and Officers and by carrying out reviews of Council services.
The Chairman of Eden District Council’s Scrutiny Co-ordinating Board, Councillor Dougie Banks, said: “We are inviting members of the public to submit suggestions for Scrutiny Review topics, that we can then consider taking forward as part of the 2018/19 workplan.
“Scrutiny reviews are short projects where we carry out research and consultation on particular topics, usually Council services. Scrutiny can’t make decisions but we can suggest changes through our reviews. We can investigate any issues of local concern but we try to focus on areas that the District Council is responsible for.”
Work that the Council’s Scrutiny function has recently been involved with includes:
- Made recommendations regarding the District Council ongoing Community Governance Review about how Town and Parish Councils work.
- Scrutinised Eden District Council’s proposed budget for 2018-2019.
- Look at proposal for improving integrated community care in rural areas such as Alston Moor
- Looked at the progress being made on the devolution of Council services such as footway lighting and public toilets to Parish Councils
- Been updated on the progress of a Cumbria Consistency Project which has been undertaking a study of Waste and Recycling Collection Services in Cumbria
How do you suggest a Scrutiny Review topic?
To submit a Scrutiny Review topic before the Friday 27 April 2018 deadline either:
- Email: [email protected]
- Or write to: Member Services, Eden District Council, Town Hall, Penrith CA11 7QF
For more information about Eden District Council visit www.eden.gov.uk