Cumbria Crack

Young mum jailed for repeatedly stabbing fellow teen in bed at her Wigton home

Zoe Adams

[A] YOUNG mum who repeatedly stabbed a close friend while the pair were in bed together at her North Cumbria home has been jailed for 11-and-a-half years.

Zoe Adams, 19, knifed Kieran Bewick five times with a 10-inch blade during a planned attack having persuaded her victim to put a pillow over his face in the bedroom. She had brought the weapon from the kitchen along with duct tape despite him having earlier refused her request to tie him to the bed.

Mr Bewick, then aged 17 and now 18, told police how he felt his lung “pop and squirt” while bleeding from chest wounds following Adams’ attack at Brindlefield, Wigton, on the night of July 29 last year. He had also suffered a collapsed lung, injuries to his upper arm, leg and hand, and was treated in hospital for “potentially life-threatening” injuries.

Carlisle Crown Court heard how Adams – drunk and stoned – had also earlier worn vivid facial make-up to frighten Mr Bewick after learning he was scared of clowns.

He later told police she had a “fascination” for “gruesome murder videos”. A message she sent him the previous month described a male being “strapped up and used as a human sacrifice”.

Zoe Adams

The mother-of-one denied an interest in sexual violence and was said to be sorry. She was sentenced today (WED) having admitted wounding Mr Bewick with intent to cause him grievous bodily harm.

In a statement, the victim said: “I am going to be scarred for the rest of my life, both physically and mentally.”

The victim told officers following the attack that he then heard his phone vibrate and was aware of Adams picking it up. The next thing he recalls was being attacked, pulling the pillow from his head and seeing Adams striking at him with the knife.

The victim suffered a total of five wounds – two stab wounds to his chest, one to his upper left arm, one to his right inner thigh and one to his right hand.

Despite his injuries, the boy was able to flee the address, seeking help from a neighbour.

The 17-year-old was rushed to hospital with life-threatening injuries which required emergency surgery at Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle.

Adams was arrested at the scene. In her interview she denied attempted murder but accepted she had caused the injuries.

However, she told detectives she had no recollection of having carried out the attack, claiming she had blacked out as a result of the alcohol and cannabis.

She said she had a complete memory blank until immediately after the attack, when she recalled the victim looking at her and saying “what have you done!”

Adams told officers she keeps a knife between the head of her bed and the wall for protection – as only herself and her daughter lived at the address.

The weapon used in the attack was a kitchen knife with a black handle and a blade around six to seven inches in length.

Detective Constable Calvin Greaves said: “Any assault with a knife has the potential for fatal consequences. In this instance, the young victim of this callous and violent attack has been very fortunate to escape with his life.

“Adams told officers she blacked out and had no memory of the attack. Her 17-year-old victim is not so fortunate. He will have to live with the physical and mental scars of Adams’ actions for the rest of his life.

“He has shown great courage throughout the investigation, not least in giving detectives a statement regarding the attack whilst only hours into his recovery.”

Jailing Adams and imposing an extended four-year licence period, Judge James Adkin spoke of a “cruel and sadistic” attack, adding: “You formed an intent to cause your friend serious harm during the course of sexual activity with him.”

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More