[O]fficers in South Cumbria are urging trades people with vans to take steps to secure and mark their property following three reports of theft to police on Wednesday (16th May).
People are being urged not to leave tools in vans and other vehicles overnight.
The warning follows the following three reports:
Incident 24 of 16/5/18 – between 4:45pm on 15th May, and 7:30am on 16th May, near Ireleth Road, Askam-in-Furness. Offenders have forcefully broken into a works van parked on the street using an unknown tool and taken tools and a radio.
Incident 26 of 16/5/18 –between 8:40pm and 9pm on 15th May, near Abbey Road, Barrow, an unsecure works van has been entered and tools taken from within.
Incident 27 of 16/5/18 – Overnight 15th May into 16th May, on Birchwood Drive, Ulverston, a works van was broken into and tools were stolen. Items taken include a drill, a jigsaw, a grinder, an electric drill, 2 cordless drills, a socket set, spanners and a plane.
Local Police Constable, Shannen Peet said: “We are investigating these offences and seeking to identify those responsible.
“Whilst we continue with these efforts, I would urge people to permanently mark their tools to make them identifiable and help deter theft; etching tools with a postcode, businesses address or smart water will help police to identify them if they are recovered. I would also strongly urge people with power tools not to leave them in their vehicles overnight or unsecured in their vehicle whilst they work.
“Anyone who witnesses any suspicious behaviour or who has information which could assist should contact police on 101 immediately. Always call 999 if a crime is in progress.”
Call non-emergency number: 101
Or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Always call in an emergency 999
- Always lock your vehicle securely
- Always park your car in a well-lit area and use a garage if you have one
- Have an alarm or immobiliser fitted if the vehicle doesn’t already have one
- Take any items of value, including power tools, out of the vehicle overnight
- Keep the keys to your vehicle somewhere safe and secure and not easily retrievable by opportunist thieves
- Engrave your tools with your business name or postcode or use smart water to identify your property if it is recovered and deter thieves