[A]t around 12.15pm today, Wednesday 6 June firefighters were called to a report of a fire at Cumbria Waste Recycling Centre on Walney Road in Barrow-in-Furness.
On arrival crews found a skip compactor on fire in the open.
A Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “Firefighters used two hose reel jets to fight the fire.
“It took approximately 3,500 litres of water to extinguish the fire.
“Around 1,000 litres went down the drains at the site. The Environment Agency was informed.
“Firefighters were at the scene for around an hour-and-a-half.”