Cumbria Crack

West Cumbria man admits assaulting police officers

Carlisle Magistrates Court
Carlisle Magistrates Court

[A] man from Fletchertown in West Cumbria has appeared from police custody at Carlisle`s Magistrates Court on Rickergate.

Gary Walsh, 32, pleaded guilty to three-charges from June 30, two assaults on police and one of using threatening behaviour, causing disorderly behaviour and unlawful violence, a public order offence.

John Moran prosecuting told District Judge Gerald Chalk how police officers were called to the Warwick Road chip shop, where two men had been fighting outside the shop, it was said how Walsh of South Street, Fletchertown, Aspatria, hit an another man twice in the face and he fell to the floor, the victim who would not give a statement to the officers was unconscious momentarily after the assault.

When two officers arrived to arrest Walsh one officer was kicked on her leg, the other officer was kicked on her chest area twice; he attempted to set alight to the shorts he was wearing and threatened to harm himself, he was very aggressive the court was told.

Defence lawyer Rachel Ottley explained that Walsh had just learned some news that a close relative had a serious health problem and he was in an angry state, the assault was over some money.

The judge was asked if Walsh could speak to him, he [Walsh] explained that he was helping a relative through a serious illness by using cannabis oil; he admitted that he knows this is illegal but it helps the person.

Walsh is already on a suspended prison sentence from the Crown Court, so he is in breach of that, the judge committed the sentencing case to be heard at Crown Court on August 3, he was remanded in custody until that hearing.

Related posts

Man hurt in Workington baseball bat attack

Cumbria Crack

The Lake District Sleepover Club

Man hurt in Carlisle pub attack

Cumbria Crack

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More