Crowdfunding doesn’t get much bigger than this: The Lake District Foundation is turning to the masses to help raise enough money to fix the footpaths of Scafell Pike, England’s highest mountain.
By donating to the major national crowdfunding campaign ‘Mend Our Mountains: Make One Million’, lovers of The Lake District also have the chance to get their hands on incredible rewards for their generosity.
Scafell Pike is one of the 13 projects taking part this year, where the Lake District Foundation hopes the well-trodden routes will be made more robust and future-proof.
In 2016, more than £103,000 was raised in just over 6 weeks for ‘Mend Our Mountains’ nationally, including £12,105 raised for Fix the Fells in The Lake District. This year, the target is to raise £20,000 specifically for Scafell Pike.
The concept is simple, donate online, and at the same time choose whether you want to receive a ‘reward’ in exchange. The bigger the donation, the bigger the reward. There’s something for every taste and budget – from £10 to £1,000.
Donors to this project can expect amazing local and unique rewards including:
- Petzl head torches lightweight and compact hands-free lighting – from Lyon Equipment, plus a Gregory backpack
- Discounts on Keswick Mountain Festival tickets – a unique event offering a fantastic mix of outdoor activities and music which will take place from 17th to 19th May 2019,
- 15% off adventure days out with EA Mountain Skills – choose from a range of adventures throughout this amazing landscape with qualified, experienced and DBS-checked instructors
- Love Cumbria cards – giving you access to over 40 fantastic 2 for 1 offers and up to 30% off attractions, activities, cafes and restaurants across the Lake District,
- 10% off a stay at Cedar Manor – a boutique hotel in Windermere where you will find traditional styling with a twist of contemporary,
- Lunch for two at Cottage in the Wood – a 17th century Restaurant located in the heart of Whinlatter, England’s only Mountain forest,
- 25% off a stay at Burn How Garden House Hotel where you can escape, relax and unwind in Bowness-on-Winderemere,
- A Lake District Foundation goodie bag including a £1 note from the Lake Districts’ very own currency – the Lake District Pound,
- 10% off a stay at Elder Grove Bed & Breakfast – a friendly home from home, a relaxing atmosphere, and a little more than a traditional B & B in the heart of Ambleside.
To take part, visit the Scafell Pike project page on the crowdfunding website from 10th September midday until 19th October. Some rewards are limited and will be awarded on a first come first served basis so the sooner you donate the better.
The iconic Scafell Pike is classed as Fix the Fells’ number one priority for path repair work, due to the sheer numbers of people visiting each year and the level of erosion caused by so many pairs of boots.
Scafell Pike is not only England’s highest mountain but a war memorial for the nation. It’s therefore a fitting time for the campaign, with 2018 marking 100 years since the end of the First World War.
The Lake District Foundation is coordinating the ‘Mend Our Mountains’ campaign for Scafell as the fundraising partner of Fix the Fells. Funds raised by this campaign will be used to:
- Repair the damaged path
- Rebuild drains and waterbars along the length of the paths
- Construct additional drains to ensure more water is taken off the paths
- Reinforce edges and stabilise the surrounding areas including through re-seeding