Cumbria Crack
News

Man who denies raping woman in Penrith town centre goes on trial

Carlisle Crown Court

A MAN accused of raping a woman in a town centre alleyway has gone on trial.

Mark George Farrell, 28, denies three charges. Each alleges that he raped the same female in Penrith during the early hours of April 1 this year.

Farrell has gone on trial at Carlisle Crown Court, where a jury heard today (MON) that both he and the woman had been on separate nights out. Both had taken drink.

Opening the case, prosecutor Tim Evans said the woman had alleged she was “grabbed” and “raped” in an alleyway, off Middlegate, in Penrith town centre.

“Throughout she was crying and telling Mark Farrell to stop,” alleged Mr Evans.

“The complainant says she was forced, was thrown about, was injured, was telling him ‘no’, and to stop.”

The prosecutor continued: “The defendant says completely the opposite: not only was all that went on consensual, she was more than consenting; she was an enthusiastic participant and was initiating much of it.”

When arrested by police, Farrell, of St Ann’s Crescent, Carlisle, said to an officer: “I swear, I am not a rapist.”

The trial continues.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More