A CARLISLE man has told a jury he was “astonished” to learn that a teenaged visitor to his home had been involved in a “county lines” drugs supply plot.
Peter Raymond Kenney, 48, has gone on trial at the city’s crown court. Kenney denies one charge which alleges that he was involved in a conspiracy to supply class A drugs during May this year.
A jury has heard that a 16-year-old boy from London was used by gangsters as a “foot soldier” as heroin and crack cocaine were transported from southern England to Carlisle. That teenager was arrested in the city on May 22 in possession of more than £1,400 cash as he prepared to return to London. He has since admitted travelling to Cumbria as part of an operation to supply heroin and crack cocaine.
But Kenney, of Eldon Drive, Carlisle, denies being involved in the crime himself. This afternoon (TUES) he told a jury he had agreed with a friend to “put up” the boy, who stayed for three days.
“He never mentioned a thing about drugs,” stated Kenney.
During cross-examination, prosecutor Brendan Burke referred to the boy’s admissions, saying: “You must have been astonished by that.”
“I was, yeah,” replied Kenney.
“I had no idea. Not once did he mention drugs to me.”
The trial continues.