Allerdale Borough Council’s Executive has today [Wednesday 17 October] agreed to support a series of recommendations to support the improvement of sporting facilities in Cockermouth
The Sport, Leisure and Culture Consultancy report was appointed by Allerdale Borough Council in May 2018, which undertook a scoping study of the current sports facilities in Cockermouth and how they can be enhanced.
The proposals that were identified in the report and were considered by Executive include:
- The development of a multi-sport site at Highfield Recreation Ground to accommodate a number of different clubs including the Titans Rugby League Club, Highfield Football Club, community squash games and others.
- Support Cockermouth Junior Football Club to develop the facilities at Tarn Close, initially providing changing and toilet facilities and to then improve the quality of its grass pitches.
- Support Cockermouth RUFC in its development plans to improve the quality of the Cockermouth RUFC grass pitches and upgrading the existing floodlit tennis courts to create a multi-sports venue that is suitable for a range of sports.
- Upgrading the Harris Park tennis courts to allow for future tennis use by Cockermouth Tennis Club and the local community.
- Developing a small changing pavilion at the Fairfield Primary School recreation field for use by local athletic based clubs.
- Support Cockermouth Cricket Club to develop its women and girls offer by developing appropriate changing facilities within its clubhouse facilities.
Councillor Michael Heaslip, Executive Member with responsibility for sports development, said: “The council is happy to support initiatives that improve the sporting offer in Allerdale and the health and wellbeing of its communities. These improvements will benefit the people of Cockermouth and I’m looking forward to seeing how these projects progress and the positive impact it will have on the users of these facilities.”
The Executive’s agreed to support these priority actions in line with existing Council budget and external funding opportunities.