Cumbria Crack
Headlines

Police thank Barrow residents after fire and gas leak

Police and partner agencies have thanked residents for their patience as emergency services dealt with a gas main fire on Dane Avenue, Barrow.

A joint response was launched following a report of the fire at 9.30pm on Sunday 21st October.

Cadent Gas and Electricity North West are helping to investigate the incident.

A Cumbria Police spokesman said: “Early indications are that the fire has started due to a faulty electricity cable.

“A small gas leak has also been identified near the fault and this has been made safe.

“The electricity in the surrounding areas was turned off in the first instance however, power has now been restored to most homes.

“Some properties closest to the fault will remain without power until the fault is repaired.

“Evacuations were carried out covering Dane avenue and a 100 Meter radius around the affected area.

“Residents requiring medical assistance with the evacuation were supported by North West Ambulance Services.

“There were no reported casualties and there is no ongoing danger to the public.”

Dane Avenue and all roads into Dane Avenue are now fully reopened to residents, pedestrians and vehicles.

Related posts

Man arrested after forged £20 notes passed in Barrow area

Cumbria Crack

Firefighters tackle Carlisle car fire

Cumbria Crack

Police appeal after Barrow hit-and-run

Cumbria Crack

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More