With new students settling into new homes and new routines, and returning students getting back into the swing of university life, Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service is encouraging all students to have a think about their fire safety awareness.
Speaking during national Student Fire Safety Week (22-28 October 2018), Catherine Moody, Home Accident Reduction Team Leader for Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service, said: “With all the excitement and opportunity that university life brings, fire safety might not be at the top of your list of priorities.
“However, in amongst all your studying and socialising, taking a few moments to think about your accommodation, how you use it and what you might and could do to reduce any fire risks might save your life.”
By following these top safety tips, you can help make sure that your student experience is a fire-safe one:
- Don’t leave cooking unattended and take extra care when frying with oil.
- Don’t cook if you’ve been drinking alcohol, especially late at night.
- Take extra care with cigarettes and other smoking materials and never smoke in bed. If you smoke, make sure you put your cigarette out, right out.
- Keep candles away from flammable surfaces or material that might burn – such as curtains, TVs, bath tubs – and never leave lit candles unattended.
- Don’t overload plug sockets and switch off electrical equipment such as chargers, hair straighteners and blow dryers overnight or when not in use.
- Make sure you and your housemates know your escape routes, practise it and have a plan B in case your route is blocked.
- In the event of a fire, get out, stay out and call 999.
- Find out the ‘escape routes’ and ‘muster points’ and have a walk through to familiarise yourself with them.
Catherine added: “Each and every university or college has a person responsible for fire safety. If you spot a fire risk or have any concerns then you should speak to them. If you don’t know who this responsible person is then make some enquiries. Fire safety is everyone’s responsibility.”