Voting has closed in our Name the Gritters competition – and we now know the names that will be given to some of Cumbria County Council’s 38-strong fleet of gritters.
A total of 3,310 votes were cast in the contest, which took place over five days via the council’s dedicated Twitter Gritter account, @CumbriaGritters.
A Cumbria County Council spokesman said: “We’d like to say a big thank you to everyone who suggested a name, and also to everyone who voted.
“More than 200 suggestions were made and 20 names were shortlisted.
“The names were randomly placed in five groups of four. We then asked you to vote for your favourites on Twitter over a five-day period, with the top two names in each group being the winners.”
So the winners, by group, are:
- Gritter Garbo; Gritty McVitie and Ready Spreadie Go (joint second placed)
- Gritty Gritty Bang Bang; Spready Mercury
- True Grit; Nicole Saltslinger
- David Ploughie; Usain Salt
- Whinlatter Scatter; Gritany Spears
These names will now be given to some of the gritters in the winter fleet.