Cumbria Crack

Workington Reds Ladies put on five-star performance

It has been a long time coming for Workington Reds Ladies but they were back in action after the weather had played havoc in November causing a fixture washout.

Travelling to Maryport Rugby League Club on Sunday, December 9, the Reds welcomed Leigh RMI Ladies to West Cumbria, for their first game in over a month.

In the opening exchanges Leigh applied pressure to the Reds defence and forced a mistake from Reds keeper, Laura Miller as the ball squirmed through her gloves and into the net at the far post.

This spurred the Reds into life and the ball started moving quickly around the pitch and flying up the wings with Hannah Geen and Sophie Birkett.

The equaliser came as Geen combined with Hayley Bracken on the edge of the Leigh box to set up Jessica Reynolds who had all the time and space she needed to control and fire the ball past the Leigh keeper.

It was soon 2-1 as Hayley Bracken rifled the ball past the keeper after the offside trap had been sprung.
The match was not all going the Reds way as the crossbar came to the Reds help.

After a good save from Miller the ball fell to a Leigh player with an open goal and it would have been a certain goal if Linzi Donaldson hadn’t slid across for a goal line clearance.

Coming back out after half time Leigh struck first squaring the match up at 2-2.

The Reds again took control of the match as Geen and Birkett ran the defence ragged.

Geen was to restore the Reds lead after Bracken turned provider with a deep cross to the back post for Geen to roll the ball past a scrambling Leigh keeper.

Midfield duo Chloe Henderson and Mairead Kinsella joined in and started to dominate the centre of the field as they broke up Leigh’s attacks and brought the ball out from defence, moving the ball out wide a low cross was put into the box for Reynolds to blast in for her second of the game.

The Reds always looked dangerous in attack and as another ball split the Leigh defence Bracken latched onto it to slide it in for her second and the Reds fifth.

A late rally from Leigh saw Miller pull off a string of saves keeping the opposition frustrated while defenders Donaldson, Naomi Foster, Eleanor Hope and Leah Cottier helped keep the Leigh attack at bay.

With the match won the Reds gave debuts to Megan Hay and Paige Johnstone with Hay almost extending the lead.

Towards the end of the match an over hit ball from the Reds produced a seemingly routine stop from the Leigh keeper, however the keeper had to leave the field with her arm in a sling.

The final whistle went on the Reds first home win of the season and a 5-2 triumph over the visitors, the score line could have been larger if the Reds had been able to stay onside.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More