The A66 from Brough to Bowes has been closed in both direction due to the adverse cold weather creating dangerous road conditions. The A66 will remain closed at this section for the foreseeable future.
A Cumbria Police spokesman said: “There will be congestion around these areas and drivers are asked to allow for delays and to plan their journey accordingly. Drivers are reminded to drive to the road conditions in front of them bearing in mind that black ice is not always visible.
“Cumbria Police are also advising you DO NOT use any roads over 200 meters in Cumbria today, and do not walk the fells unless you are properly equipped and are experienced.
“Corney Fell road has also been closed due to cars getting stuck on black ice – more roads will be affected by the ice as the day progresses.”
Who to contact:
- If you find a tree down on a main road please contact Highways England on 0300 123 5000.
- If you find a tree down on a minor road please contact your local council (visit your councils website for contact details).
- For power cuts contact Electricity North West on 105.
- Please contact 101 if you need police assistance. Always dial 999 in an emergency.
- The weather: www.metoffice.gov.uk
- The latest situation on the roads: www.cumbria.police.uk/Traffic/Traffic.aspx