Cumbria Crack

Penrith Royal reach Junior Cup Final

Keswick Reserves defend against Penrith Royal in the box (Ben Challis)

Third Division Penrith Royal reached the Junior Cup Final after a brilliant display away to Keswick Reserves who were sitting third in Division Two with only one defeat all season.

A fairly even opening half hour was eventually livened up when Craig Willan gave Royal the lead as he lifted the ball over Sam Page in the Keswick goal.

Royal were forced in to a substitution as Petar Taskov was injured and was replaced by Joe Tyson-Brown. The game remained 1-0 at half time.

The second half was barely ten minutes old when Royal were awarded a penalty for handball that Tyson-Brown smashed home to put the visitors 2-0 in front.

Keswick then had a long spell of pressure and the Royal defence held firm, superbly marshalled by Nicky Fletcher who won everything in the air.

As Keswick pushed forward they began to leave gaps and Royal were happy enough to counter attack and began to create a few chances themselves with Alex Jackson going close on a couple of occasions. On 65 minutes Alex Jackson smashed the ball home from close range to make it 3-0 after Page was left with no chance from a back-pass.

After 70 minutes Royal player manager Alan Parkin, who at 52-years-old along with Matty Glen still dominated the centre of midfield, was replaced by Tom Dixon.

As the game wore on Keswick were handed a lifeline when they themselves were awarded a penalty. Royal keeper Tom Watson pulled off a brilliant save only for the rebound to fall kindly to the Keswick forward to fire home from close range.

Keswick threw everything they could at Royal in the final stages but the Royal rearguard of Alex Glen, Nicky Fletcher, Andy Branthwaite and Tom Jackson coped admirably and held firm to put Royal in to the final on 10th April against Cartmel Reserves at Kendal Town’s ground.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More