Carlisle City Council’s Leader Councillor John Mallinson has announced the line-up of the council’s new Executive.
The Executive is made up of the Leader, who is appointed by the City Council, and five other Councillors appointed by the Leader, each with responsibility for areas of Council work, known as portfolios:
- Leader’s Portfolio: Cllr John Mallinson (Leader);
- Finance, Governance & Resources: Cllr Gareth Ellis (Deputy Leader);
- Communities, Health & Wellbeing: Cllr Elizabeth Mallinson;
- Culture, Heritage & Leisure: Cllr Stephen Higgs;
- Economy, Enterprise & Housing: Cllr Paul Nedved; and
- Environment & Transport: Cllr Nigel Christian.
Cllr John Mallinson was elected as Council Leader at yesterday’s (Monday, 20 May) Annual Council meeting.
Councillor Marilyn Bowman was elected Mayor of Carlisle and Cllr Pam Birks was elected as Deputy Mayor.
The Executive is responsible for the day-to-day running of the City Council and has to make decisions, which are in line with the City Council’s overall policies and budget. If it wishes to make a decision, which is outside the budget or policy framework, this must be referred to the City Council as a whole to decide.