Councillors have elected Independent councillor Marion Fitzgerald as Leader of Allerdale Borough Council at last night’s [22 May 2019] Annual General Meeting.
Marion has been a councillor at Allerdale for five years. She originally represented Boltons Ward until 2015 after being elected two years earlier, and has represented Dalton ward since a by-election in 2016.
Speaking on her appointment, Marion said: “I think the vote on 2nd May indicates that people want to see change. Although candidates who are independent of the main parties scored the biggest numbers, the vote was very split. To give people what they voted for, I think the way forward is to form an administration where responsibility is shared.”
“Members across the Council need to be working together to produce the best results for every community in Allerdale. I hope to lead an administration that is efficient but at the same time open and transparent.”
Marion has lived in Wigton for 19 years and is a primary school teacher by profession, however she is now retired. She is passionate about Cumbria and likes nothing better than walking in the fells, being in the great outdoors and gardening. An avid chess player, she also enjoys motor sports.
Cllr Fitzgerald also confirmed her Executive members and portfolios. These are:
- Cllr Mark Jenkinson, Deputy Leader with portfolio for Economic Growth (including Tourism)
- Cllr Mike Johnson, Executive member with the portfolio for Corporate Resources
- Cllr Paul Scott, Executive member with the portfolio for Transformation
- Cllr George Kemp, Executive member with the portfolio for Environmental Quality
- Cllr Stephen Stoddart, Executive member with the portfolio for Housing, Health and Wellbeing
- Cllr John Cook, Executive member with the portfolio for Governance and People Resources