Officers in Carlisle are investigating a recent spate of burglaries in the city and are reminding home owners to ensure they keep their houses and property secure at all times.
Officers in the area have recovered a number of items, which police believe may have been stolen including handbags, purses and jewellery.
If you believe you have recently had any such items stolen from your house or your car, please get in touch with DC 2478 Gilsenan on 101 or email [email protected].
Officers are urging residents to thwart thieves by taking simple measures such as, making sure windows are secure and locking up before leaving or going to bed.
Security tips include:
- If you’re out of the house or going to bed, make sure your front door is locked and any accessible windows are secure
- Remove keys from locks and keep them out of reach.
- If you’re going on holiday, don’t advertise that your home is empty by posting information on social media.
- Also leave a set of keys with someone you trust so they can keep an eye on your home.
- Ensuring side gates and sheds are locked with a good quality lock.
- Keeping cash and valuables locked away safe or well hidden.
- Considering increasing your security with good quality locks, chains and lighting.
- If you have a home security alarm, please ensure it is in working order
For more information on securing your property please visit: www.cumbria.police.uk/Advice-Centre/Crime-Prevention/Home-Security.aspx.
Anyone who has any suspicion that someone may be in the process of burgling their home or a neighbour’s home should contact police immediately on 999.
If you have information on any incidents, contact police on 101 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.