A MAN has admitted being responsible for a one-punch attack in Carlisle which left his victim with a serious head injury.
Robert Lawless, 21, appeared at the city’s crown court this morning (FRI) following an incident which occurred during the early hours of June 8.
Police stated at the time that officers were called by the North West Ambulance Service, at 4-54am, to Robert Street, which leads from Crown Street, off Botchergate.
A 55-year-old man was said to have suffered a head injury, was taken to hospital in Newcastle and reported later that day to be in a “critical condition”. Following the attack, police issued a public appeal for information.
In court today, Lawless appeared over a video link from custody. He admitted unlawfully and maliciously inflicting grievous bodily harm upon Derek Broughton.
Judge James Adkin adjourned the case. He heard that while an impact statement had been provided by Mr Broughton’s wife, the prosecution had not yet been able to obtain an up-to-date medical prognosis.
In response, Judge Adkin said: “It is impossible to sentence without a prognosis.”
Lawless, of Oaklands Drive, Upperby, Carlisle, was told he is due to receive his punishment in the week of August 5 at the crown court. In the meantime he was remanded in custody.
His lawyer, Marion Weir, said in a brief address to Judge Adkin: “Mr Lawless recognises what is likely to be the inevitable sentence.”