Many readers will have heard the expression Open Sesame! But not everyone may appreciate the instruction comes from the story of Ali Baba & The Forty Thieves. This Saturday, Lowther Castle is hosting Ali Baba as an outdoor theatre production. And as a gift to all those who are coming to the play, the organisers are also saying Open Sesame and offering ticketholders to the play free entry to the Castle & Gardens throughout the day.
Ali Baba is being staged by the very popular Illyria Theatre Company. Drawn from the Arabian Nights, the play tells the story of Ali Baba, a poor woodcutter who overhears a group of vagabonds talking about some treasure they have hidden in a nearby cave. Magic, mayhem and skulduggery ensue as the thieves try to hold onto their hoard of gold and Ali Baba tries to protect his loved ones.
The event is a fund-raiser for the wonderful Calvert Trust, a charity that organises outdoor adventure holidays for disabled adults and children.
Besides the play, there will be a charity auction. Lots for sale include:
- A unique ‘full on’ passenger ride in a Ford World Rally Car, provided by M-Sport
- Two nights in the Derwent Water Boathouse apartment at Lingholm, provided by Lingholm Estate
- Family or Group Nordic Walking adventure in the Lakes, provided by Nic’s Nordic Walking
- 4 tickets for the England vs Wales Rugby match at Twickenham on Sunday, 11th August, provided by Conexus MedStaff
- Family or Group pirate activity day on Ullswater, provided by Glenridding Sailing Centre
The timetable for the evening is as follows:
5.45pm Gates open
6.30pm Charity auction followed by the Outdoor theatre which includes a 20-minute interval
8.30pm Evening draws to a close
Pop up Pizza, ice cream, coffee, beer, wine and Tipsy Filly cocktails will be available
Tickets available from Illyria up to 4pm on Saturday 20 July, after which tickets are available at Lowther Castle. Adult £13, Children (5-12) £9, Family (2A+2C) £40 and Carers free.