Littlewood is known the world over as the mother of modern theatre and her devoted her life to putting the community at the heart of all her work.
Joan took Theatre Workshop to London and found a new home there in 1952 at Theatre Royal Stratford East where she came up with the notion of a FUN PALACE something she described as a ‘laboratory of fun’, sadly she never found the ideal space for her palace of adventure before her death in 2012. However, in 2013 maverick artists Stella Duffy and Sarah Jane Rawlings revived Joan’s passion project and established FUN PALACES a free, nationwide campaign for culture at the heart of community and community at the heart of culture happening every October weekend.
The Brewery’s 1st FUN PALACE on Sunday 6th October from 11am to 3pm celebrates the unique skills and passions of local people – run by, for and with the local community. Come and take part in a host of FREE activities for ALL THE FAMILY including:
- Stage Science – Learn how to make theatre blood and fake booze with Claire Dunk
- Do the Doodle – join movement director Zoe Leigh Gadd and Corisande for a fun movement and poetry session
- Howl – come and have a giggle in a laughter workshop
- Puzzling Mysteries – learning about creating the ultimate murder mystery and interactive puzzles with Highly Suspect
- Where’s my lgloo – get creative with our drop-in draw your own Igloo competition to win tickets to one of our performances of Outside The Igloo in December
- 5X5 – Short Film Making Workshop with Stuart Sutton
- Go Potty – Join Amy William for a beginners pottery session
- Heroes – Come and make your own superhero masks and capes with Kate Reid
- Mix it up – Try your hand at being a DJ with Ian Trickett
- Shed 1 – Join Andy & Zoe Arnold-Bennet and learn about how they make their amazing gin
- Joan Littlewood – A free screening of the iconic OH WHAT A LOVELY WAR!
Miriam Randall the Brewery’s CEO & Artistic Director said: “Like Joan the Brewery puts the community at the centre of what we do and we’re excited to be opening our doors for our first FUN PALACE on Sunday 6 October with a day that bring together art, science, craft and technology but above all people to create and connect in a friendly environment.”
For full details of the FUN PALACE programme go to www.breweryarts.co.uk or simply pop along to the Information Desk in the Intro Bar on the day to sign up! – Registration for all the workshops will be open from 10:30am on the day and places are allocated on a 1st come 1st served basis.
Dates SUNDAY 6 OCTOBER 2018
Times 11:00 – 15:00