Partner agencies are working together in response to an issue with mains water in the Shap area.
United Utilities is advising residents in Shap and some of the surrounding villages NOT to drink mains water until further notice.
The company also says do NOT use your tap water for cleaning teeth, washing or cooking. People can continue to use tap water for flushing the toilet.
To see whether your property is impacted, please check the affected postcodes by clicking here.
Up to 400 properties are affected in Shap and villages to the east as far as Great Asby.
United Utilities has issued this advice as a precaution after detecting higher levels of chlorine than usual in part of the supply network. Engineers are now taking steps to flush this water away.
The problem has occurred after Storm Ciara severely damaged one of the water pipes supplying the area.
United Utilities has opened free bottled water collection points at the following locations where staff are on hand there to answer any questions:
- Shap Memorial Hall, Shap, Penrith, CA10 3NL
- Broad Close Car Park, Appleby-in-Westmorland
- Tebay Services (Northbound), Westmorland Place, Orton, CA10 3SB
Additional bottled water stations are also located at:
- Pooley Bridge Village Hall, Pooley Bridge, Penrith, CA10 2NL
- Market Square, Kirkby Stephen, CA17 4QN
- Clifton Village Hall, Clifton, Penrith, CA10 2EA