Cumbria Crack
News

Barrow driver banned from the road after colliding with pedestrian

Carlisle Magistrates Court

A Barrow man was expected to attend the North and West Cumbria Magistrates Court in Carlisle today to be sentenced for a driving offence.

Christoper Searle, 27, of Parry Street, Barrow had previously pleaded guilty by letter to driving a Suburu Impreza on November 10, 2019. He asked the court to deal with sentencing in his absence, as he expected he would be disqualified.

The court was told Searle was driving on Hindpool Road in the town without due care and attention, he excited a junction indicating right to turn onto a major road and failed to see a female pedestrian who was already crossing the road.

The pedestrian hit the bonnet of the Suburu smashing the windscreen and landed on the road, the victim sustained injuries consisting of a damaged ligament in her shoulder, bruised ribs, concussion and grazing.

The victim wrote to the court explaining she had to take time off work and gets flashbacks of the car coming towards her.

Searle wrote to the court to admit his guilt and that he knew he could be disqualified, he said he would accept the magistrates decision.

Magistrates left the court to discuss their sentencing options, on their return to court it was said the offence of due care and attention was aggravated because he was not insured, Searle was disqualified from the roads for 56-days, with court costs totalling £544.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More