BARROW Borough Council has provided £280,000 of funding to local businesses following the first phase of discretionary grants.
The new government scheme was launched at the start of June to help support firms in the area which were not eligible for the small business and retail, leisure and hospitality fund.
After the first round of applications so far more than 60 businesses have been granted funding through the discretionary grant scheme.
Leader of Barrow Borough Council Cllr Ann Thomson, said: “We are pleased that the first round of discretionary grants to eligible firms has been so successful.
“This week a total value of £280,000 will be paid out to 61 successful applicants.
“We really hope the funding will help to keep businesses going and protect local jobs during this difficult time. It’s certainly one of the biggest challenges our local economy has ever faced.
“And, even though we believe most businesses have applied to the scheme if there’s anyone who hasn’t come forward yet we really encourage them to get in touch once the second phase of applications re-opens.”
The government had made additional funding available to district, borough and city councils in Cumbria and the rest of the country to provide further grants to firms affected by the Covid-19 pandemic.
The council will begin payment to the successful applicants from today, Tuesday June 30, and unsuccessful applicants will receive notification in writing.
The initial phase of applying for the fund was open from Monday, June 1 to Monday, June 15.
Following government guidelines eligible businesses included:
- Small or Micro businesses
- Businesses with relatively high ongoing fixed property-related costs
- Businesses which can demonstrate that they have suffered a significant fall in income due to the COVID-19 crisis
- Businesses which occupy property, or part of a property, with a rateable value or annual rent or annual mortgage payments below £51,000 (where a rateable value exists this will be the figure used)
- Must have been trading on the 11th March 2020
- Have not been eligible or received a grant from the existing Covid grant schemes or other support schemes (excluding the Self-employed Income Support Scheme).
The maximum grant available in Barrow is £10,000.
The second round of applications for discretionary grants is due to start mid-July and the revised scheme will allow those who were unsuccessful in the first round to reapply.
More information about the scheme is available from barrowbc.gov.uk