Cumbria Crack
News

Workington man cleared of “robbery” tells judge: I’m going to have some Stella tonight

Carlisle Crown Court

A WORKINGTON man has told a judge he is “going to have some Stella tonight” after hearing a robbery charge he denied was being dropped.

Michael Robert Peter Jenkins, 21, had been due to stand trial later this year after pleading not guilty to one allegation.

This had alleged the robbery of a 28-year-old man during an incident in the Harrington Road area of Workington, during the mid-afternoon of May 22.

Mr Jenkins, who has been in custody on remand, appeared at Carlisle Crown Court over a video link from Durham Prison this morning (FRI).

He listened as prosecutor Gerard Rogerson said: “This matter has been reviewed. There is one count of robbery on the indictment and the decision has been taken by the Crown (Prosecution Service) to offer no evidence upon that count.”

In response the judge, Recorder Anna Vigars QC, said: “I will enter a ‘not guilty’ verdict.”

Addressing directly Mr Jenkins, of Workington, Recorder Vigars told him: “The CPS have reviewed your case. They have decided they are not going to pursue it and are not offering any evidence.

“They therefore ask me to enter a ‘not guilty’ verdict, which I have just done. That brings the case to conclusion.”

A delighted Mr Jenkins responded: “That’s brilliant, Your Honour. Very good news.” He added: “I’m going to have some Stella tonight, Your Honour. Thank you very much.”

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More