Cumbria County Council’s library service is set to launch a new Select & Collect service for its members. Select & Collect will make it possible for library members to order a selection of books by phone or email which they can collect from designated areas in the 6 main libraries. The new service will be piloted from Tuesday 4 August.
The county council recently announced that it would be reopening their 6 main library buildings in Carlisle, Penrith, Whitehaven, Workington, Kendal and Barrow on Monday 10 August. Access to the libraries between the 4th and 10th August will only be for Select & Collect customers who have booked collection slots. To protect the health and safety of library staff and customers, libraries will have new Covid-secure measures in place, including visitors being required to wear face coverings.
Select & Collect will complement existing services, like the council’s online library services, which have seen a surge in new online memberships and borrowing.
Cllr Deborah Earl, Cabinet Member for Public Health and Community Services, said: “We know how much people value our library services and we’re working hard to recommence much loved services and launch new ones, like Select & Collect.
“The service is similar to how you might click and collect your shopping and operates in addition to our digital library services so there should be something for all of our members.
”From the 10th August, I’m pleased to say we will have our 6 main branches reopened, plus Select & Collect, home delivery and online services all running.”
How Select & Collect works:
- From Tuesday 4 August, library members can contact the library service by phone or email and request up to 6 books each time. Customers can request different genres, authors and types of books, but not specific titles. Our system will do its best to make sure you don’t receive books you’ve borrowed from us before.
- Library teams will process orders in 7 days, picking books relevant to the customer’s request.
- Members will be given a collection slot and should bring their own bag/s to collect their books.
- Each library operating the service will have staff on hand to help, the service is completely contactless and there will also be signage in place to guide customers.
- Like with regular book borrowing, members are free to take books away and return them within 3 weeks.
Collection locations are library branches in Barrow, Carlisle, Kendal, Penrith, Whitehaven and Workington.
Measures to prevent cross contamination are in place in accordance with Public Health guidance.
Friends and family members can use the Select & Collect service on behalf of library members who may not be able to leave their homes.
The service can also be used by non-members who will need to phone the relevant library to join.
More information is available online at cumbria.gov.uk/libraries, including details of the online library services, and home delivery service for existing customers who are unable to leave their homes. Home deliveries will also recommence from Tuesday 4 August.