Cumbria Crack
North News

Violent rapist who convinced brother to wash blood stained clothes is jailed for 12 years

Connor Barrass

A violent rapist who subjected his victim to a horrific attack and then persuaded his brother to wash his blood-soaked clothes has been jailed.

Twenty-three-year-old Connor Barrass, from Newcastle, met the victim at a social gathering earlier this year and followed her home.

When she went to close the door of her flat, he kicked it open and launched into a violent attack, sitting on his struggling victim’s chest and raining down punches.

Barrass went on to sexually assault and rape his dazed victim who believes she lost consciousness.

Under the guise of pretending to use the toilet, his victim attempted to escape.

But Barrass caught up with her and launched into a fresh attack as she screamed for help.

A Good Samaritan came to her aid confronting Barrass before calling 999.

However, Barrass fled before police arrived.

He was later caught on CCTV meeting his brother and changing his clothes.

Less than 48 hours after the violent assault, Barrass handed himself in to Forth Banks Police Station where he was arrested on suspicion of rape.

On May 29 at Newcastle Crown Court, Barrass, of Northbourne Street, Newcastle, pleaded guilty to one count of rape, attempted rape, sexual assault and two counts of assault.

He was back before the same court on Monday (August 10) for sentencing where he was jailed for 12 years. He was also made to sign the Sex Offenders’ Register for life.

Ryan Barrass

Also appearing was his brother, Ryan Barrass, 26, who, in July, pleaded guilty to three counts of assisting an offender, after he attempted to help his brother conceal his guilt.

On Monday Ryan Barrass was handed a 12 month sentence suspended for 18 months, made to pay a victim surcharge of £149 and ordered to carry out 200 hours of unpaid work.

The officer in charge of the case, Detective Constable Lara Huitson of Northumbria Police, has praised the brave victim for working courageously with officers.

Det Con Huitson said: “The victim suffered a horrifically violent ordeal at the hands of Connor Barrass, a man she had only met hours earlier.

“Despite the physical and emotional pain she endured – requiring 10 days of hospital treatment after the attack, she was able to bravely assist police and I sincerely hope that Monday’s outcome has provided her with some closure, knowing her attacker is behind bars.

“I would also like to publically thank the Good Samaritan who came to her aid and scared off Connor Barrass before calling 999.”

Phillipa Wylie of CPS North East said: “The Crown Prosecution Service and Police built a robust case against Connor Barrass, leaving him little option but to plead guilty to these very serious charges. I sincerely hope that the significant sentence he will now serve for these offences provides some measure of comfort to his victim.”

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More